A Bird house is a boon for bird loversFor avid bird watchers and bird lovers, a bird house in the garden is a must have. It is undoubtedly the best way to make these wonders of nature a part of your daily life. No more going to the zoo or the bird park or even hiking to look at some beautiful birds. Youíll find them flocking to your garden every day. Also by placing a bird house in your garden, you are doing your bit for the environment by providing a suitable place for the birds to nest in. It is also a lot of fun to watch birds play and raise their families. For your children, this can be an excellent opportunity to know about local wildlife and environment conservation.
So whether you live in the country or in the city, all you need is a small garden or backyard and a birdhouse to attract a variety of bird species.
Bird houses come in wide varietyBird houses are available in several shapes, sizes, colors and materials. The best kind of bird house is the wooden one. Wooden bird houses provide good ventilation, are durable and offer good insulation. Gourds are another good material for bird houses. Properly designed pottery, concrete, and plastic houses are also widely used in bird house design. There are also metallic birdhouses available in many different styles.
Bird house designs too like everything else have really evolved. You have bird houses that look like a fire station, a beach bungalow, a cottage and even a church with steeples. For those who are looking beyond buildings, you will find birdhouse made out of polyresin, shaped like animals or hats and much more. You have to decide which type of bird house is suited for the climate in your part of the world and your feathered friends.
Different bird houses attract different kinds of birdsAs a bird enthusiast, you should be aware that certain species of birds prefer specific types of bird houses to nest in. Some birds prefer to nest in groups while others prefer to be alone. If you are not sure about the kind of bird house you should buy, carefully observe the species of birds found around your area. Knowing the kind of birds you can expect in your garden will give you a fair idea of the kind of bird house you need. You can also prepare special seeds for migratory foreign birds if youíre certain that your area falls in their migration route.
What makes up a good bird house
- A good bird house is comfortable, sturdy and waterproof.
- In case of a wooden bird house, the paint should be non toxic.
- There should be 2 cavities with two entrance holes, one for nesting and one for roosting.
- The entrance holes should be big enough for the birds to go in and out but small enough to keep predators out.
- The bird house should be properly ventilated.
- It should provide adequate insulation and it should be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- The roof should be slanted to drain out the rain water and should have small holes under the roof line for good air flow.
- There should be a hole in the floor for proper drainage of rain water. This keeps the birds free from parasites and mites.
- It should be easy to clean. Most bird houses can be accessed from the top top, front, side or bottom. The top opening is the least likely to disturb the nesting birds. Bird houses should be cleaned regularly to ensure a clean and healthy environment for nesting.
- It should blend in with the environment. Birds do not like anything too garish or something that attracts too much attract attention.
Tips thatíll help you buy the right kind of bird house for your garden
- For a large garden, choose a big bird house that can accommodate many birds. For a limited area, go for a small bird house.
- If youíre going to hang the bird house from a tree branch, it is better to go for a smaller size. However if it is going be a stand alone piece, then you can go for a much larger size
- Choose a bird house that complements the exterior facade of your home. Bird houses also have decorative appeal so donít opt for one thatís totally mismatched with the surroundings.
- Small bird houses with small openings will attract small birds. Decide the kind of birds you want to see and then choose your bird house accordingly
- For more than one family of birds, keep the bird house at a safe distance from each other. Many birds like to be alone when nesting.
Choose from our range of solid wood bird housesWeíve got 3 great bird house models in cedar wood for you to choose from. Specially handcrafted, these cedar bird houses are easy to assemble with clear illustrated instructions and pre drilled holes. They are highly durable and mean to last for many years.
Get a bird house for your home today and you can bring in the pleasures of nature very close to your home.