A typical doll house sports real life embellishments like furniture, accessories and other items that make up a conventional household. There are a range of doll houses which differ in the materials that have been used for crafting them and also in the level of elaborateness. Some models are basic versions that have only a single room while other more intricate versions sport the entire gamut of a modern home like living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms and patios. Yet other models come with their own set of furniture and accessories that are coordinated with the style of the dollís house. A doll house usually boasts of a durable and superior construction that enables them to last for generations and in some cases acquires heirloom quality. Therefore your little girl can pass her doll house to her own children to transmit an essence of her childhood days.
The Contemporary doll house is highly appealing and the best part is that they are not targeted at a specific gender. Whereas olden times witnessed the doll house as being an accessory that was stringently stipulated for play by little girls, modern times have seen little boys also being equally captivated by their appeal. In fact the contemporary doll house is specifically designed to cater to the inclinations of each gender.
The fascinating origins of the doll houseThe intriguing hobby of playing with a doll house is by no means confined to recent times. On the contrary the doll house has been in existence in some form or the other since centuries. The earliest documented instance of a privately owned doll house has been recorded in the home of the Duke of ancient Bavaria. The duke had replicated the style and design of his palace in the doll house. Following this, many wealthy folks emulated the duke by employing expert craftsmen to design their own conceptualised versions of the doll house. These first doll houses were more a means of depicting oneís social standing and wealth than a plaything for children. This trend carried on through the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries after which the children of wealthy households were introduced to the delightful nuances of playing with a doll house. However a fact that is well acknowledged is that these initial years of playing with a doll house were more a means of fostering skills of home management and education than frivolous play. By the middle of the nineteenth century, the doll house had metamorphosed into a plaything that found a place exclusively in the nurseries of wealthy households. The Victorian times ushered in an era that saw the doll house being manufactured on a massive level. The hub of doll house manufacturing was in Germany from where it was exported to other parts of the world.
The tremendous educational scope of the doll houseChildren spend several mesmerising hours playing with a doll house recreating real life scenarios, arranging and rearranging furniture and dramatising. A doll house is great not just for lending a suitable avenue for children to play but also promotes some conspicuous educational benefits. Moreover allowing your child to indulge in personal expression at an early stage paves the way for a balanced and emotionally confident person. Besides, managing a miniature household causes your child to think and act in a responsible manner.
- A Doll house encourage imaginative play: It is highly essential
for children to indulge in imaginative play that stimulates their intellectual development. As adults we often overlook or sometimes even underestimate the potential of pretend play which often strikes us as apparently meaningless. But the truth is that pretend play is an effective means of inducing learning in children of all age groups. Scientific research in recent times have established the efficiency of pretend play as a conduit towards forming better social skills, enhanced cognitive capabilities and language learning. Playing with a dolls house enables children to get in touch with their social self and additionally allows them to work out resolutions to social and personal problems. Moreover children who play with dolls house come across as empathetic and creative individuals.
It often happens that parents are sometimes perturbed by the extent of credibility that their children lend to their make believe world. Most parents perceive this as a denial of reality. However a child who is pretending to be a queen or a superhero is not as detached from reality as you may seem to think. For the child this is an experiment for determining the limits of imagination and creative thoughts. This imaginary scenario is furthermore very much in touch with the logics of the real world. Doll house are toys that are better played with in the company of friends. Therefore children learn concepts like sharing, taking turns, listening and conferring over invented predicaments.
- A Doll house doubles as a historical lesson: A miniature doll house often represent a particular phase or time of history. Therefore the historical context can be exploited to hone the historical knowledge of children. This would be a great educational tool since history lessons often tend to hinge on the boring side. The dolls that reside in the doll house can be made to wear clothes that are evocative of the phase that the doll house depicts. You could also encourage the children to render an actual enactment of an important historical event.
- Doll house furthers coordinated play: One cannot deny the importance of motor skills in having a major impact in developing individual skills. Whether it is for writing or playing a musical instrument, motor skills are quite pivotal. Dressing up miniature dolls and organising the small scaled doll house furniture requires hand to eye coordination on a considerably significant level. This consequently fine tunes the abilities of concentration and subsequently results is emphasised motor skills.
- Playing with a doll house cultivates creativity: Modern life is steeped in technological aspects that can leave little or no time for the creative play that was once the hallmark of childhood. This can also visibly stunt or hamper the child's ability to cope with the more definitive stages of life. Children in the modern world are habituated to dealing with manufactured toys that endorse a rigid purpose and computer games that in fact stifle any lingering creativity. In such a scenario, the onus is on the parents to create means that would engage the creative potential of children. Doll homes are perfect for creative play. The most prominent advantage of doll homes are that they lend the child an opportunity to deal with objects that are a part of everyday life without having to confirm to any inflexible norms. Thus children can make up their own scenarios, games and families. This is also an effectual way to gain a comprehensive insight about your child's mind.
The modern doll homes comes with many attractive options. Some may have beautiful windows crafted out of stained glass while others may have cars, garages, nurseries and dining tables. Some children might even be encouraged to fashion furnishings and clothing by using their creative mind. Younger children often use a few dolls and some furniture and then let their imagination take over. On the other hand, more mature children might be inclined to take the more realistic aspects of the doll house into account. The vast possibilities that are inherent in doll homes become more apparent as the child grows.
The varieties of doll houseA well chosen doll house can be a fantastic addition to the repertoire that comprises your childís playthings. The most versatile aspect of a doll house is that your child can change the narrative to suit her mood or the situation that she is envisioning Doll houses come in pre-assembled versions and kits that need to be put together. The type that you choose will largely be dictated by the adeptness with which you can construct and decorate.
- Some doll house kits require a little bit of cutting and fixing in order to be functional. Doll homes kit usually includes the doors, windows and stairs that eventually form part of the completed doll house. Most of the contemporary versions of doll houses have a wood laser cut that provides for a firm fit and straight lines. This kit would be ideal for you if you have a penchant for dedicating a considerable amount of time in constructing.
- A pre-assembled doll house comes in a finished form. All embellishments like doors, windows and stairs are already installed. This type of doll house usually is available in parts that need to be screwed together. This is done for the ease of transportation.
- A scratch built doll house is for those of you who are enthusiastic about woodworking and construction. All you need are a few power tools to go about assembling this type doll house.
Some useful tips for buying the perfect doll houseChoosing a well designed and appropriate doll house is the endeavour of every parent. The safety and well being of the child is a factor that no parent would negotiate on. Therefore it is essential to choose a doll house that will not break or harm your child in any way. Moreover choosing a doll house that is well suited will result in your child having loads of fun while playing with it. There are a few critical factors that you must keep in mind prior to purchasing a doll house. The following is an attempt to acquaint you with these very factors.
- Material of the doll house: The material of the doll house is probably one of the key factors to determine before investing in a doll house . It is the material that is a direct indicator of the durability and safety of the doll house. The durability of the doll house is a factor that needs to be considered at the outset. Children can be really rough on their toys in the doll homes and the doll house is certain to go through tough patches of use. Therefore make sure that the doll house you mean to buy is able to effectively withstand the wear and tear that it will be subjected to almost on a daily basis.
- Construction of the doll house: Have a close look at the construction of the doll house that you intend to buy. Does the construction involve the exclusive use of glue or does it entail a combination of glue and screws? A doll house that uses only glue will boast of a nice finish since there are no unsavoury looking screws that are noticeable. However a doll house that has screws will certainly be sturdier and more stable as compared to the one that is devoid of it. In case you are buying a doll house with screws ensure that they are fitted properly or else your child's clothing could snag on it. An ideal choice would be a doll house that is put together with the judicious use of screws, dowel and glue. The glue and dowel serves to hold the doll house together while the screws installed at strategic points will ensure stability.
- Structure of the doll house: Consider the structure of the doll house that you have honed on to. Look out for small parts that could be a potential choking hazard for young children. Ensure that the doors and windows of the doll house are well secured and look for strong hinges. Check if the doll house is agreeable to add on's at a subsequent stage. If the doll house is meant to be a constant in your child's growth, you may want to closely consider the abovementioned factor.
- Age of the child: Consider the age of the child before buying a doll house. Young children would benefit from a doll house that is large and convenient to handle. The furniture and accessories in the doll homes should also be large scaled so that they do not pose a choking hazard. Older children would prefer a doll house that is more intricate and convoluted in design. This helps them in indulging their creative self.
- Doll House
- Doll Houses
- Doll Homes
- Dolls House
- Modern Doll House
- Doll House Kits
- Wooden Doll House
- Doll House Furniture
- Wood Doll House
- Large Doll Houses
- Doll House accessories
- Unique Doll House
- Cheap Doll House
- Doll House Stores
- Decorating Doll House
- Modern Doll Houses